Saturday, November 20, 2010

Thanksgiving part 1...

I had all intentions of boycotting Thanksgiving this year for some rather lame reasons, but slowly one by one people started asking what we were doing and I just couldn't say no. I've always done dinner for my friends and whoever I knew that didn't have any where to go. This will be my 4th year doing it and although watching my grocery bill add up at the register wasn't fun, I know that once we are all sitting down and eating and the stress of cooking is over I will be very glad that everyone is together enjoying such a great meal. :)


We will not be celebrating on Thursday though because I will be working 2p-12:15am and well, that doesn't work well when I need to make an entire turkey dinner by myself. So instead we will be enjoying our dinner the Sunday after... Nov 28th.

I plan on posting a Thanksgiving blog with pictures of the process and the finished product after I'm through but am thinking that some time this week I will post a pre-Thanksgiving blog. Things to do ahead of time that help make it seem like there isn't sooo much to do the actual day of cooking. Also a few basic recipes of family favorites that we have every year AND the family secret for an amazing turkey! :)

So here is part one...

Make a shopping list of EVERYTHING you even think you might need. Try and keep it somewhat organized. I am a bit OCD and like to organize my shopping list (only for turkey day) by where things are in the store. I don't imagine most of you will be that crazy, but at least try and group things like celery, onions, and potatoes together because you know those are all going to be in the same part of the store, lump eggs and butter together because those are usually close to each other... My reasons for this... It is harder to forget things that way. With that said... I promise you will almost always forget something still, but this way it'll be less likely.

I always try and go at least a week in advance... That way when I forget something, I still have time to get to the store before it is closed for the holiday.

Yes, I realize how commonsense this stuff is, but sometimes reminders are nice. :)

More to come in some time in the next few days on prep to do the day before and recipes I like for my Thanksgiving dinner. :)

Also... For my vegan friends or anyone that needs to make vegetarian/vegan friendly food for their dinners. Vegan/Vegetarian Thanksgiving checklist

No comments:

Post a Comment