Monday, March 21, 2011

Cheesy Potato Soup for One!!

So I don't eat soup often, I think it usually tastes good, it just isn't my favorite thing, but every once in a while it sounds really good and up until now I've never attempted to make any kind of soup.... This particular soup would be awesome in a bread bowl if you happen to have one! Sadly I didn't, but a slice of bread on the side worked just fine. :)

Tonight though I had just a single potato and a carrot that have been in my fridge that I needed to use soon and wasn't sure what to do with them. A friend of mine had mentioned bread bowl soup earlier today and for some reason it stuck with me. So I decided to turn my one potato and carrot into soup for one! If I had an onion I probably would have added 1/4c of sauteed onion to it as well, but will make sure to do that next time. Also I don't have one of those fancy immersion blender things so I just used an old fashioned potato masher.

Cheesy Potato Soup

Boil:
1 white potato-peeled and cut into chunks
1/2 carrot-peeled and chopped

Drain and put back in your pot. Mash with a fork or potato masher to your liking then add


2/3c milk (I used vanilla soymilk because it is what was on hand)
1 tbs butter (I used vegan margarine)
1/4 tsp Cayennne pepper (less if you don't want it super spicy)
1/4 tsp Oregano and Basil
1 tbs garlic
1/4c onion finely chopped (again was out of onion, but am sure it is a must!)
1/4-1/2c shredded cheese (I would've used Daiya if I had any)

salt and pepper to taste

While your potato and carrot are boiling saute your garlic and onion and set aside until after your potato/carrot are mashed.

keep your pot on medium heat
add the rest of your ingredients and stir until your cheese is melted, mash a bit more with a fork if you need to, salt and pepper to taste, serve and enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. I made this soup again with the sauteed onions, definitely better with them in it! :)

    ReplyDelete