Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Vegan White Cake & Lemon Frosting!

I got my kitchen all nice and extra clean today, which of course meant it needed to be dirtied again! I had no idea what I wanted to make so I sent out a tweet and had a friend suggest I make a cake because she has only ever baked one cake ever.... I was a little surprised and decided I'd google white cake recipes and see what I could find... Because to be honest, making cake from scratch doesn't usually end well for me, and vegan cake isn't something I've had much luck with either....

I found this recipe for Simple White Cake and thought I'd try my hand in making it vegan.... SO here goes nothing.... The best homemade white cake I've ever made!

Simple Vegan White Cake

1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup vegan margarine
1/4c vegetable shortening(CRISCO)
2TBS flax(heaping) + 4tbs water
1TBS vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder(slightly heaping)
3/4c + 1/8c milk

Beat together sugar, margarine and Crisco until smooth. Then add flax/water mixture and vanilla. Add your baking powder and flour, mix well then slowly add milk. Mix until smooth.

Pour in a greased and floured 9in round pan.

Bake 350 for 30-40min

Let cool before taking out of pan, frost and enjoy!

I get bored with playing 'white' cake so I tend to do things like add food coloring to it so it isn't so boring.... I added blue food coloring to the second cake I made. Sorry I don't have a better picture.

____________________________________________________________

Some side notes with this.... I made a beyond stupid sweet lemon frosting for it. I wouldn't use such a sweet frosting for it, but maybe that is just me, I've never been one for overly sweet stuff.

I made two so that I could make a layered cake... They were a tiny bit on the crumbly side, but I think that is because I didn't let them cool enough before I decided to stack them... Test it out and see what you think and let me know. Let me rephrase that.... The cake is super moist and super yum! The outer edge is what crumbled a tiny bit.

____________________________________________________________

For my frosting I used about 1lb powdered sugar, 1/2c-3/4c Crisco (vegan margarine will work just as well) and about 3/4 can lemon-aid concentrate (from can), creamed it all together and yum! Add your lemon-aid slowly and only add until it gets to your desired lemon flavor.... Add some food coloring if you want, keep in fridge until ready to use.

I added some yellow food coloring to it, for a happy yellow to contrast the blue of the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment