Saturday, April 24, 2010

fish tanks...

Earth day was yesterday, was reminded a lot by different people how much eating meat really is effecting the planet.

My roommate has a 40 gallon fish tank that her uncle gave her. She's had a couple fish die recently... Last night her second angel fish wasn't doing so well so she wanted to put him in a bag of water in the freezer to 'help' him along because she thought he was dieing. When she asked me what I thought, I pretty much lost all ability to speak. I can't even handle flushing a dead fish down the toilet let alone killing a live one! We ended up taking him out of the tank and putting him in his own little bowl. He seems to be swimming a lot better today and has finally eaten a little. I think he is getting better!

I used to have a beta plant bowl thing, went through I think 3 of them before I finally realized how terrible it was that I was keeping them like that. Fish are not meant to be kept in little tiny bowls/tanks. They never seem to live all that long, and okay maybe a year is a long time for a fish...I'm not really sure, but it doesn't seem like a very long time. I can't count the number of fish she has had die since she got the tank a few months ago... It just makes me sad!! I am soooo glad I talked her in to putting the angel fish in its own bowl last night! She has mentioned a few times today that she really doesn't think he is going to make it... I say give him a chance to fight!


Am I a hypocrite for talking about my roommates fish, when I have two cats? I'd like to think that I am not, I adopted them from a shelter and knowing what kind of life they came from before I would like to think I saved them... I don't know....

I really don't think I am ready to make the switch over to vegan 100% but I can say I am willing to make an effort to work on watching the animal products I am putting in my body. I am allowed to make a slow change right, and going vegetation is half the battle isn't it?

It is late, to much deep thought for 2am! I am going to bed! Good night

No comments:

Post a Comment