Monday, December 20, 2010

Peanut Butter thumbprint cookies...



My phone takes super crappy pictures and makes everything look yellow... But those are 3 different ways to bake the same cookie! I made some regular old school peanut butter cookies, thumbprint cookies (some with my grandpa's homemade crab apple jelly and some with black raspberry jam) and peanut butter blossoms with Hershey kisses on top. This is the first year I have ever not done just the kisses on them. Worked out well all the way around though. :)

I have made these every year for Christmas for years and years and I always use the recipe off the bag of Hershey kisses. I cut it out and taped it to a piece of paper a few years ago and now I'm glad I did because this year they changed the recipe on the bag and I didn't want to use the new one.

This year though, I veganized the recipe... I am going to post the recipe I actually made and those of you who don't want to veganize it can switch things back to what they would be.

1/2c vegetable shortening
3/4c peanut butter
1/3c sugar
1/3c brown sugar
Ener-G Egg Replacer to equal 2 eggs (original recipe only calls for one egg)
2TBS vanilla soymilk (I imagine any form of milk will do, that is just what I had)
1teas vanilla
1 1/2c flour
1teas baking powder (the original recipe calls for baking soda but I was out)
1/2teas salt

I mix all the dry ingredients and shortening together, then add the 'egg', vanilla and milk and mix again then add the peanut butter very last until it is all smooth. It'll be a little sticky but its supposed to be that way. :)

Roll it in to 1in balls then roll the balls in sugar. Bake at 375 for 8-10min. Keep in mind that they continue to bake for 3min after they come out of the oven, so don't leave them in too long. If you want to make just regular peanut butter cookies, press them down with a fork before putting them in the oven. If you're adding jam then make a thumbprint in them as soon as you take them out, or add your kisses as soon as they come out of the oven.

Let cool a few minutes before trying to move them or they might crumble cuz they are a bit soft when they first come out.

Here is a picture of the egg replacer I used.

2 comments:

  1. I buy Flax from Costco. when you mix it with water it gets really gummy - Perfect to replace eggs with. It's cheap and is supposed to unclog your arteries and all that.. but I love love love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought some flax seeds thinking I had something to grind them with but that ended up failing so now I've just got whole flax seeds that I don't know what to do with.

    I plan on figuring it out though and using them in some recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete